Wednesday 14 January 2015

Joe's Kansas City BBQ (Formerly known as Oklahoma Joe's) - Dining inKansas City

Joe's Kansas City Bar-B-Que
3002 West 47th Avenue,
Kansas City, Kansas 66103
(913) 722-3366
http://www.joeskc.com


I had no idea what Oklahoma Joe's was until my good friend Tara, told me about it as we were picking up our order at the counter.
Before then I thought we were just picking up some food at a busy service station right by her place.

You see, President Barack Obama ordered $1,400 worth of takeout here and shipped it out on Air Force One (like a boss), 
and every year since 2004, Joe's Kansas City Bar-B-Que has been the Zagat #1 Rated barbecue restaurant in Kansas City. 
The Daily Meal website and USA Today both named Oklahoma Joe’s Kansas City's ribs "America's Best Ribs".
Then in 2009, Anthony Bourdain named this place as one of “Thirteen Places to Eat Before You Die” in an article for Men’s Health magazine.


..What kinda rock was I living under?!


I've been in Kansas City for about two hours after I broke into my friends house, parked my luggage in the guest room and had a nap on the couch with her dog.

It was only a few minutes later after she arrived home that she suggested we go grab some food. 
She told me that she had put in an order for pick up at this place right around the corner, so off we went, driving to this gas station called Shamrock at an intersection on West 47th Avenue, near Roeland park were she lived. 

To my surprise, the gas station was very busy.
There were plenty of cars parked on the lot, a few of them pumping gas, and the rest I had no idea why they were there until I started to smell an amazing aroma of BBQ smoke which filled the air, overpowering the smell of gasoline you normally would smell at a gas station.

We walked around the corner of the building revealing the entrance into Joe's, and it became apparent that this place is extremely popular judging by the long line of people waiting inside which snaked around the convenience store part of the service station - a very odd setting for a world class BBQ restaurant.
You could literally grab some spare spark plugs and anti-freeze while you wait for your ribs to arrive. 

Without hesitation, Tara headed straight for the pick up counter and got our food within 5 minutes of being there. 
(A tip if you don't want to wait in line - call in your order and pick it up as 'to go'.)

Arriving back home, Tara went through all the items that she had ordered for us; 
a full slab of ribs, the all famous Z-Man sandwich, BBQ beans, and fries - This is happening!


...Insert line break here, while I drool over this sweet memory.


The ribs, oh my goodness, the ribs couldn't wait to fall off the bone. The smokey flavors combined with the complexity of the baste (or the rub) and whatever they used to smoke it with was just out of this world. If you could taste BBQ heaven, this was it. 

The BBQ beans, wow! Who would've thought beans could be this amazing! It has definitely ruined my life knowing that I'll never find beans like this again.

Don't even get me started on the Z-Man sandwich. 
What a wonderful way to present slow smoked beef brisket and have it party with melted Provolone and onion rings between a kaiser roll IN YOUR MOUTH!

Even the next day, the ribs still tasted amazing - I seriously believe that this might be the best BBQ ribs on planet earth, 
and for the price? 
$21.99 for a full slab. God bless America!

Operating out of a gas station, this place was no less than extraordinary. 

It was here that I fell in love with Kansas City.








Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/cityscape/article1310928.html#storylink=cpy

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great post on your blog, it really gives me an insight on this topic.

    moving companies in florida

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, an amazing Information dude. Thanks for sharing this nice information with us. Houses for sale in orland park il

    ReplyDelete