Wednesday 3 December 2014

Land of the free


It's two degrees Celsius outside, I'll be seeing Jason Mraz at 8pm, but before then I'll be having dinner with my cousin at this amazing restaurant called Mercadito on Kinzie street, a couple of blocks away from the famous North Michigan Avenue, aka the Magnificent Mile.

I'm actually inside Ghirardelli Chocolate Company having one of the best hot chocolates I've ever experienced. 

I'm happy. I can't explain this feeling, but it feels like I'm at ease. I'm rested. I'm stable. 
Everything makes me smile. Everytime the wind blows and I'm freezing my ass off, I chuckle. When I see a yellow school bus drive pass, I imagine having children of my own. 
Even when I hear the train announcements, I feel as if I'm heading home.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Australia, a lot.
I gave Australia everything in my twenty-five years of service there. I've worked so hard for the land that's girt by sea, and I still have so much more to give. I've had great experiences there, and I've had bad experiences there - Just like anywhere.

It's just that at this very moment, in the land of the free, I'm at ease - my mind, body and soul. 

I don't wake up in physical pain anymore from working so hard to keep the bills paid and the Australian tax office happy. I'm not stressed all the time wondering how I'm going to take my business into the next level so I can stay of top of my game to satisfy my staff and customers, and I'm not caught up in the rat race for once. 

For once, I can be a twenty-something year old, (even though I just turned thirty-one) and I feel like I have so much to catch up on.

So as you could already tell, America is my escape - and it's tempting to just keep running.

I have family here. I have friends here, but most importantly, I have a clean slate here.
I'm a different person here. I'm someone whom I've always wanted to be; relaxed, disciplined, and motivated to build something new. 

Although as romantic as everything may sound, I still have huge responsibilities back in Australia, 
but let me live my fantasy for another two months. 
My feet will touch the ground again soon.

With love and respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment